Thursday, January 19, 2006

Article XML template

I'm including this as an image because blogger can't retain all the formatting required to make it clear. Each article has its own XML file in this format...a sample is at the top of the graphic, while the template explanation is at the bottom. Obviously, there can be only one article tag, but (hopefully!) many post tags. Ratings that do not have commentary attached are not explicitly listed in the XML, they are only used in rating calculations.

One new thing I've added here is variance. I'm thinking about adding a variance statistic to the ratings...this might be an interesting measure of how controversial a topic may be, or how flaky the science is. The major reason I'm only thinking about it, instead of just including it in the spec, is that I'm not sure how expertise and credibility would effect the variance. I think variance should be a statistic that stands on its own, but I'm worried that a bunch of people who don't necessary have expertise in the area may artificially inflate the variance of an article with low-confidence ratings. I'm not sure I actually care about that though, since credibility isn't really what variance is measuring...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home